Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Seeds of Doubt


I submitted my resignation from South Sudan about a month ago. The initial signs of relief and confidence after finally making a decision are slowly deteriorating into an anxiety-filled space of uncertainty, doubt, and a heavy-handed dose of second-guessing. It’s no secret that this post has not been the best fit for me; from a professional standpoint I never really felt competent and effective in my position. While I learned a great deal, I’m not convinced it’s something I’d chalk up as a professional success, although in many other (and probably much more important) measures of life experience, I could not have learned more—about myself, the world, and the people that make it a complicated and beautiful place. So, how are these old creeping feelings of fear and doubt resurfacing?

The long and short of it is, while I recognize that this is probably for the best, I’ll always wonder about the alternative.  I’m afraid this choice is short-sighted from a career-standpoint—that I’ll beat myself up for not sticking it out, enduring my final six months, staying with an organization that I could have continued building a career with. The easy answer is that I couldhavewouldhaveshouldhave, but the more important question I’d have to ask myself is why? Are the arguments compelling me to leave more important than the ones questioning my ability to stay? When I fast-forward to unemployment, relocating to a new city, starting my life again somewhere new, paying off student loans, finding an affordable apartment , do the opportunities replace the nagging doubts I feel about leaving, even though I’ve determined I’d probably be better-suited elsewhere? I told myself months ago that no job is worth unhappiness, or lack of fulfillment, or a non-existence of work/life balance, or consistent health problems, or, or, or,…so why the self-doubt?

I’m terrified that leaving South Sudan will disrupt a relationship that has the potential to bring me lasting comfort, understanding, companionship and unwavering acceptance….that my premature departure will be interpreted as lack of commitment, and I’ll create unnecessary distance with someone that understands me for all that I am and most importantly for all that I am not and seems to love me anyway; that we won’t be able to get back to where we are, to a space that works for us…and the distance will become too hard and in the end, destroy us.

I’m afraid I won’t be relatable to any of my friends or family back home—that our familiar reference points will be replaced by play dates and mortgages versus pit latrines and malaria, that I’ll have no ability to understand or share in the lives of the people I care about. That after a few weeks of creature comforts and relishing in the little things that make life enjoyable (fresh food, freedom of movement, the family dog, home-cooked dinners), that people will return to their own schedules, lives, priorities, and I’ll feel lost, incredibly lonely, misguided and misunderstood. I worry that after all these years of transience, I’ll spend time with my brother and sister’s kids and witness my friends as parents, and I’ll crave a family of my own, too. That I’ll realize this is the life I’ve wanted all along and it feels too late, that I’ve missed the boat, gotten it all wrong. That I missed years with my family that I’ll never have back. That my work didn’t mean anything. I fear boredom, the mundane, a lack of purpose. I’m terrified I won’t find another job that allows me to give back, feel committed, feel alive. I have feelings of abandonment-that I’m leaving my project prematurely and that the impact of my time here will not only feel inadequate, but completely worthless. I’m afraid that life will never feel so extreme again. I’m troubled that I’ll never be surrounded by people that understand me so well, and have a similar sense of purpose again. I’m afraid that the happiness I imagine when I think about returning home won’t turn out to be happiness at all. 

3 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel... but, you are tougher and happier than you imagine--- and me, and loads of others love you and support you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will dig up up both a pit latrine and some malaria here in the US. Plus, If you find boredom, you can have my kids and mortgage anytime you want.

    Hoping that the lighter side is well received.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as I am annoyed while dealing with people who live day to day, I at times envy them. Because they have non of (or maybe less of) this "what if" mentality. They live for today and worry about tomorrow when tomorrow gets here. I, unfortunately, am not one of those people. I evaluate and over evaluate my decisions and consider the consequences....but even then hindsight is 20/20 and we will never truly know the consequences of our decisions/actions until after we make them. I am experiencing the same emotions you eloquently put in your blog entry as I have submitted my letter of resignation at work to relocate (I'm avoiding using "move") to Ethiopia with my lover.

    Thanks for this blog, I feel like I come here to read your blog but end up venting.....I guess just my way of letting you know you are not alone in the feelings you feel while I find a weird comfort in knowing someone feels the same way as I do.

    Just know that you came to the decisions you came to for a reason, trust that and move forward and TRY not to look back for (as you mentioned) you can't get any of those things back.

    ReplyDelete